On this page:
- How do I enroll in Duo?
- How do I use Duo to login to the VPN?
- Alternative Authentication Methods – Passcodes
How do I enroll in Duo?
Enrolling in Duo is easy!
- You may receive a Duo Security Enrollment email. Click on the link in the email or here duo.luthersem.edu .
- You’ll be taken to the Luther Seminary Duo Management page in your browser.
Choose the LutherSem Login and login with your seminary account.
Note: If you receive a message that you’re not allowed to enroll please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You’ll be prompted to add a device. Choose Mobile Phone and click Continue.
Note: While a smart phone provides the best Duo experience, if don’t have one just reach out to the helpdesk and we’ll discuss other options.
- Enter your mobile phone number. Click the confirmation Checkbox, and click Continue
- Choose which type of phone you are using and click Continue
- You’ll be prompted to verify that you have the Duo Mobile app installed. If you don’t already have the Duo Mobile app on your phone:
- Back on your computer click the I have Duo Mobile Installed button.
- You we be prompted to activate Duo Mobile in one of two ways:
- QR Code
- Open Duo Mobile on your mobile device.
- Tap the “+” button.
- Scan QR code that is on the computer screen.
- You’re enrolled!
- Email activation link
- Choose “Email me an activation link instead.”
- Enter an email address that you can check on your mobile phone and choose Send email
- Open your email on your mobile device, find the Message from Duo Security titled “Duo Mobile Activation” and tap on the link .
- On your computer click Continue
- QR Code
If you wish to setup another device (such as a Tablet or secondary phone) you may do so.
Tip: On the main Duo Settings and Devices screen, under “Default Device” choose Automatically send this device a Duo Push to easily authenticate when you log in.
You’re all set!
How do I use Duo to login to the VPN?
Need to install or configure the VPN?
- Connect to the Global Protect VPN
- Your phone will receive a push notification from Duo.
Tap the notification, or open the Duo Mobile app and choose Approve
Note: if you don’t approve within 60 seconds the invitation will expire. But no worries! Just choose to Connect again.
The VPN will connect – you’re all set!
Alternative Authentication Methods – Passcodes
Passcodes can be used to authenticate as well in the following scenarios:
- Your normally use the Duo Mobile app push notifications but don’t have internet access
- You are using a temporary passcode. Proceed to section B
- You are using a hardware token to receive passcodes. Proceed to section B
A. Get a passcode thru the Duo Mobile app
- On your phone open the Duo Mobile app
- Tap on the Luther Seminary icon to display a 6-digit passcode
- Note – you’ll need to generate a new passcode each time you login.
B. Authenticate using a passcode
- On your computer open Global Protect.
- If your username and password are saved in Global Protect click the Remove User Credentials button in the upper right corner, next to your username.
- Click Connect
- Enter your username. In the password field enter your normal LutherSem password, followed by a comma and the passcode. Example: mypassword,879556
- Click Connect
Note: you will need to generate a new passcode each time you log back in.
My phone isn’t getting notifications
If you are expecting a notification and do not see one, manually launch your Duo app
I don’t have my device with me!
Please contact the helpdesk for a temporary passcode.
I’m Locked Out
The lockout will clear after 15 minutes.
Lock-outs can happen if the VPN tries to connect 10 times in a row without being approved in the Duo mobile app. This may happen while you are away from your computer if it is trying to re-connect to the VPN. To prevent future lockouts be sure to enable notifications on your phone (see above)
How can I keep my account secure?
- Never accept an unsolicited authentication request.
- If you lose your phone or token notify the helpdesk right away
I want to know more about Duo
Browse the Duo User’s Guide