How do I enroll in Duo?
Enrolling in Duo is easy! Duo multi factor authentication is only needed for Global Protect VPN users at this time. VPN users will receive an enrollment message with a link that takes you thru the process step-by-step. You can start by clicking that link, or get a look at the process below.
- You may receive a Duo Security Enrollment email. Click on the link in the email or here duo.luthersem.edu .
- You’ll be taken to the Luther Seminary Duo Management page in your browser.
Choose the LutherSem Login and login with your seminary account.
Note: If you receive a message that you’re not allowed to enroll please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You’ll be prompted to add a device. Choose Mobile Phone and click Continue.
Note: While a smart phone provides the best Duo experience, if don’t have one just reach out to the helpdesk and we’ll discuss other options.
- Enter your mobile phone number. Click the confirmation Checkbox, and click Continue
- Choose which type of phone you are using and click Continue
- You’ll be prompted to verify that you have the Duo Mobile app installed. If you don’t already have the Duo Mobile app on your phone:
- Back on your computer click the I have Duo Mobile Installed button.
- You we be prompted to activate Duo Mobile in one of two ways:
- QR Code
- Open Duo Mobile on your mobile device.
- Tap the “+” button.
- Scan QR code that is on the computer screen.
- You’re enrolled!
- Email activation link
- Choose “Email me an activation link instead.”
- Enter an email address that you can check on your mobile phone and choose Send email
- Open your email on your mobile device, find the Message from Duo Security titled “Duo Mobile Activation” and tap on the link .
- On your computer click Continue
- QR Code
If you wish to setup another device (such as a Tablet or secondary phone) you may do so.
Tip: On the main Duo Settings and Devices screen, under “Default Device” choose Automatically send this device a Duo Push to easily authenticate when you log in.
You’re all set!
How do I use Duo to login to the VPN?
Need to install or configure the VPN?
- Connect to the Global Protect VPN
- Your phone will receive a push notification from Duo.
Tap the notification, or open the Duo Mobile app and choose Approve
Note: if you don’t approve within 60 seconds the invitation will expire. But no worries! Just choose to Connect again.
The VPN will connect – you’re all set!
Alternative Authentication Methods – Passcodes
Passcodes can be used to authenticate as well in the following scenarios:
- Your normally use the Duo Mobile app push notifications but don’t have internet access
- You are using a temporary passcode. Proceed to section B
- You are using a hardware token to receive passcodes. Proceed to section B
A. Get a passcode thru the Duo Mobile app
- On your phone open the Duo Mobile app
- Tap on the Luther Seminary icon to display a 6-digit passcode
- Note – you’ll need to generate a new passcode each time you login.
B. Authenticate using a passcode
- On your computer open Global Protect.
- If your username and password are saved in Global Protect click the Remove User Credentials button in the upper right corner, next to your username.
- Click Connect
- Enter your username. In the password field enter your normal LutherSem password, followed by a comma and the passcode. Example: mypassword,879556
- Click Connect
Note: you will need to generate a new passcode each time you log back in.
My phone isn’t getting notifications
If you are expecting a notification and do not see one, manually launch your Duo app
I don’t have my device with me!
Please contact the helpdesk for a temporary passcode.
I’m Locked Out
The lockout will clear after 15 minutes.
Lock-outs can happen if the VPN tries to connect 10 times in a row without being approved in the Duo mobile app. This may happen while you are away from your computer if it is trying to re-connect to the VPN. To prevent future lockouts be sure to enable notifications on your phone (see above)
How can I keep my account secure?
- Never accept an unsolicited authentication request.
- If you lose your phone or token notify the helpdesk right away
I want to know more about Duo
Browse the Duo User’s Guide