In this devotion, Kurt Keljo ’81 M.Div. reflects on what it means to be named, claimed, and called in baptism. Read today’s God Pause.
Archives for January 9, 2023
January Intensives Schedule—What’s Happening Today and Tomorrow
Here’s the schedule of Intensive Week activities for today and tomorrow. For complete details, see the January 2023 Intensive Schedule and FAQ Document.
Monday, January 9
- All day—Eco Faith Stuff Swap Donation Time, 2nd floor OCC
- 8:50–10:50 a.m.—Intensive Classes on Campus
- OCC 10: NT 0218/Gospel According to John (Pietz)
- GH 103: WO 0515/Public Worship- Leadership in Word and Sacrament (Lang)
- GH 104: CL 4530/New Missional Ministries (Binder)
- GH 101: CY 4560/Family Childhood And Church Exploration in Family (Lambright)
- Online: EL 3539/Christian Ed and Dismantling Racism (Hess, Jenkins Nelsen)
- 11:00–11:25 a.m.—Chapel: Michelle and David Edgerton
- 11:30–12:30 p.m.—Lunch (pre-ordered)
- 12:30–5:20 p.m.—Intensive Classes
- 5:30–6:30 p.m.—Speed Friending with Student Council in OCC (snacks provided)
Tuesday, January 10, 2023
- All Day—Eco Faith Stuff Swap, 2nd floor OCC
- 8:00–10:50 a.m.—Intensive Classes
- 11:00–11:25 a.m.—Chapel: Eco-Faith Worship with Alan Padgett
- 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.—Lunch (on your own)
- 12:30–5:20 p.m.—Intensive Classes
Monday Chapel: Morning Praise and Prayer
We gather at 11 a.m. central in the Chapel of the Incarnation and online for Chapel. We welcome Michelle Edgerton, MDiv student, for morning praise and prayer. Share your prayer requests.
Eco-Faith Stuff Exchange
Join us for the Eco-Faith Stuff Exchange!
When: 1st Winterm RFS: January 9–13
Where: All week, open all day in OCC – tables in the “triangle area” in the upper part of OCC, across from the Cafe
What: Everyone is invited to participate in the Stuff Exchange! Simply bring gently used items to contribute if you have them (no contribution necessary to take items home) and take home items that you would use. It will be our own thrift shop. Let’s exchange to prevent unnecessary purchases and waste. Distributed Learning students – pack something to exchange if you have room! Bags to carry items home will be provided.
Items for the Stuff Exchange may include: clothing, books, small appliances, picture frames, video games, instruments–whatever! Please make sure items are clean (please wash before bringing clothes) and usable. Please no swimwear or undergarments. Leftover items will be donated Friday night after the RFS.
On Tuesday, January 10, make sure to attend chapel at 11 a.m. to listen to Dr. Padgett preach on an Ecofaith theme then join us for a reception afterwards in the OCC Cafe with hot drinks and baked goods–let’s celebrate the abundance of community together!
Please bring your own coffee mug if you can! Compostable cups, utensils, and plates will be provided.
Chapel Schedule for the Coming Week
Happy new year and welcome to J Term! We gather in the Chapel of the Incarnation and online for Chapel. On Thursdays and Fridays, we gather in the OCC Dining Room and on Zoom.
- 11:00 a.m. Monday, January 9: Morning Praise and Prayer, MDiv Student. Leader: Michelle Edgerton
- 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, January 10: Service of the Word x EcoFaith Day. Preacher: Alan Padgett, Professor of Systematic Theology and The Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary Chair of Theology
- 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, January 11: Service of Holy Communion. Preacher: Kristofer Phan Coffman, Assistant Professor of New Testament
- 11:00 a.m. Thursday, January 12: Lunch Church in OCC Dining Room. Speaker: Steve Thomason, Associate Professor of Spiritual Formation
- 11:00 a.m. Friday, January 13: Chapel Worship in the OCC Dining Room. Leader: Marcus Simmons, MDiv Student
A Gift For You
New year, new intention: bring reusable silverware to lunch! Pick up your very own set of versatile recycled plastic utensils at the next community meal. Keep them with you for food on campus in an effort to cut down on waste and promote our love for Luther Seminary! Limit one per person.