Upcoming Events and Webinars
List will be updated when offerings are available for the academic year 2023-24.
Couples and Money
Arguments about money are continually cited as the leading cause of divorce and separation. What you might now know, however, is that couples who talk about money report being happier than those that don’t. The message? Communicating about money in a healthy way deepens couples’ connections and is another form of intimacy. In this hour-long workshop, you’ll learn why talking about money as a couple is so hard, ways to view your partner’s relationship with money with compassion, and a values-based way to plan out your finances together. Each participant will also get a digital worksheet to use and refer back to long after the workshop ends.
About the presenter: Lindsay Bryan-Podvin (she/her) is a biracial financial wellness expert, speaker, and author of the book “The Financial Anxiety Solution.” A practicing social worker since 2012, she uses a shame-free approach to help people get their minds and money in balance by focusing on the intersection of money and mental health using financial therapy.
- Video Recording of the Webinar
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Values-Based Spending and Saving Worksheet
- Workshop Feedback Form – what you tell us makes a huge difference in how we structure future offerings! Your honest feedback is welcome.
Clergy Taxes Crash Course
Base Salary? Housing allowance? Deductions? Defined Compensation? Reimbursement Plans? Qualifying Expenses? Taxable and Non-Taxable Income? Professional Expenses? WHAT IS ALL THIS??? Come for one hour, and we will define all these terms for you, answer questions, and point you to additional support as you need it.
- Video Recording of Clergy Taxes Crash Course
- Prezi Presentation
- Clergy Taxes Song
- PPT 1 – First Call Basics
- What is Clergy Status?
- Self-Employed or Employee?
- Top questions you should ask about your compensation package
- Building your compensation package
- Compensation Package example
- PPT 2 – Housing 101
- Minister – Defined by the IRS
- Who Qualifies for Housing Allowance?
- Types of Housing
- Designating Housing/Parsonage Allowance
- Eligible Housing Expenses
- Non-qualifying Housing Expenses
- PPT 3 – Income and Deductions
- Taxable Income
- Non-taxable Income
- Accountable Reimbursement Plan
- Non-accountable Reimbursement Plan
- Qualified Ministry Expenses
- PPT 4 – Filing a Tax Return
- Filing Status and Requirements
- Review Clergy Status Definition
- Special Tax Treatments for Clergy
- Understanding your W2 form
- Religious Tax Exemption
- Estimated Payments
- Documentation and recordkeeping
Salary and Benefit Negotiations
How do you discuss salary and benefits when you have a job offer? The goal of this offering is to give students looking ahead to a career in Christian Public Leadership the tools they need to respectfully discuss and negotiate their salary and benefits. This webinar will also touch on the challenges some Christian Public Leaders may face when negotiating because of their gender-identity, race, sexuality, or any other identity they hold.
- Video Recording of the Salary and Benefit Negotiation Webinar
- Prezi Presentation
- Compensation Guidelines for Rostered Leaders (updated on Feb 28, 2023 at 7:30 PM!)
Spend Less (and even save money) When Everything Costs More
The Stewardship Leaders Program is thrilled to welcome Kim Miller, Certified Financial Counselor for Lutheran Social Service (who has been featured on MPR!), to Luther Seminary for a Financial Wellness workshop. A deep breath, a measure of flexibility, and a commitment to approach the world of rapidly changing finances with a calm spirit will help you navigate the ever-changing world of finances in this post-pandemic world. You will learn strategies and practices to help you in this ever-changing time with Kim Miller, Lutheran Social Services, Certified Financial Counselor.
The Stewardship Leaders Program is thrilled to welcome Becca Ehrlich, AKA the Christian Minimalist (also an author and an ELCA pastor), to Luther Seminary. As Christians, we are called to be counter-cultural and strive to be minimalists in a consumer society—because we know that our life’s meaning is not wrapped up in material things. Minimalism helps cut through the clutter and the busy-ness to refocus on God and the aspects of life that truly matter. Join us for a conversation with Becca Ehrlich to focus on what matters most and intentionally remove the rest.
How someone rates their financial situation, in most cases, has less to do with their financial situation and more with their emotional relationship with money. Financial anxiety is a part of this. The Stewardship Leaders Program will be exploring this topic with financial therapist Lindsay Bryan-Podvin who specializes in the area of financial anxiety.
ELCA Portico Benefits Introduction
Portico has provided a six-minute video introducing their benefits as well as a Portico Basic Benefits flyer with a high-level overview of the benefits package you might receive during your first call.