Each year the Global Mission unit of the ELCA chooses students from the eight seminaries to participate in international ministries through the International Horizon Internship Program. Students interested in such internships apply through the ELCA, with assistance and oversight provided by Contextual Learning.
- Attend Internship information sessions in the Fall semester.
- Confirm your eligibility (see below).
- For the ELCA: Please complete all International Horizon application components (see below). You are responsible for sending the application components directly to the ELCA mailing address listed below. Make sure to send a copy of those documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31.
- In the meantime, complete the online Luther Seminary Internship Application.
- Once the two applications are complete, selected candidates will be invited to interview with the ELCA Global Mission staff in Chicago, who will manage your application materials and interview results.
- Placement decisions will be announced by the Global Mission staff prior to Luther Seminary’s Internship placement process in March.
- Completion of a basic unit of CPE.
- Receipt of written approval by candidacy committee.
- No children or pets, although students may be either single or married.
(All forms available on the ELCA website)
- The International Horizon Internship application form
- A copy of the candidate’s final CPE supervisor’s evaluation
- Three assessments, to be sent directly to ELCA Global Mission, by the required references: the student’s Candidacy Committee, a Luther Seminary professor, and the student’s CPE supervisor or Teaching Congregations mentor pastor
International Horizon application components should be sent to:
ELCA Global Mission
Horizon Internship Application
8765 West Higgins Road
Chicago, IL 60631
Please send copies of all materials to Luther Seminary’s Contextual Learning office.