The CARES Act makes emergency funds available to students affected by the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19.
The CARES Act, which established and funds the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF), has set aside funding to help educational institutions and their students. These funds were established to cover “expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus.’’ Luther Seminary has been allocated $37,066 for COVID-19 pandemic relief using a formula based on student enrollment. This has been designated to provide students with emergency financial aid grants to help cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19.
Who and what is eligible for CARES Act grants?
- Students who were registered for the Luther Seminary spring semester courses on March 13, 2020, and who are not specifically excluded under the terms of the CARES Act
- U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens with a valid Social Security number as defined by Title IV
- Funding can only support student expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus. Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to: food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care, unexpected travel and lodging, counseling.
- A student may apply for a maximum of $1,000, based upon available funds. The amount of funds disbursed to each applicant will be determined by the Luther Seminary Care Team.
Who and what is not eligible under the terms of the CARES Act grants?
- Students enrolled in noncredit courses or less than half time
- International students
- DACA students
- Students enrolled in an exclusively online program prior to March 13, 2020
How will eligible students receive their cash payment?
If you are eligible, you will receive payment through our normal refund process or check.
The Luther Seminary Care Team will review all applications. The dean of students will inform you of the decision regarding your application within two weeks. Payment will follow shortly after approval of your application.
Applications are reviewed on a “rolling” basis. Once funds are depleted, Luther Seminary will update the website and close the application.
CARES Fund Application
To apply for funding, please fill out the CARES Fund Application form and provide any documentation of need.
For the majority of the funds, students must have been enrolled in Spring 2020 semester on March 13 at least half time. Students must be eligible for Title IV funds under Section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and must not be enrolled in an exclusively online program of study on March 13, 2020.
Other helpful information
- All questions or concerns should be submitted to DeanofStudents@luthersem.edu.
- Funding from this opportunity does not need to be repaid.
- Funding cannot be used to pay outstanding balances to Luther Seminary.
- Funding from the CARES Act: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund may be considered a taxable transaction and could be reportable to the IRS.
- All award payments will be sent directly to the student.
Luther Seminary has received these federal grants as a result of our application for the CARES Act funds under the Higher Education Relief Funds in the CARES Act. The seminary has signed and agreed to the CARES Act Certification and Agreement documenting and assuring that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50% of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide emergency financial aid grants to students.