Again we are a target of an email phishing campaign. Scammers are targeting us nonprofits quite a bit.
The help desk has heard from several of you which is great as it means you’re alert to these sorts of things. Here’s some quick tips to refresh your memory.
What to look for:
– Urgent messages from a colleague (especially a person in authority) that ask you to write them back
– Look closely at the from: Is it a luthersem.edu address?
– Strangely formatted or unusually worded messages
What you can do:
– Mark the email as spam in Gmail (this trains Google to block these).
– Always call or email the person directly to ask if they contacted you (don’t reply to the questionable message).
The OT Information Security Program website has some phishing blog posts and a red flags tip sheet suitable for hanging next to your computer.